Life Writing

This blog will feature aspects of the author of Maus, the memoir itself and our overall interpretation and study of the memoir.

- Eden Anderson, Kelsey Nairn, Tanya Markovic & Jacqueline Rizek

Friday, April 3, 2015

How I relate to the memoir...


I’ve always been very inserted in history and learning what actually happened and why it happened.  I found this memoir to be really eye opening, as you don’t get the perspective of the holocaust from someone who was actually there everyday. The struggle and loss that occurred during that time is know by most but the deep connection this story has and the amount of personal information given is heart reaching. I don’t have any personal experience to relate to what happed to any of the characters but at the same time I feel for them as if it had happened to me as well. My grandmother was a young teenager during the war and had to work in a bomb factory. No matter where you were in the work the events of the war effected every one and if my great grandparents weren’t farmers and didn’t have to stay to work the fields they could have very well been sent to fight in Europe and may not have ever retuned. A lot of people aren’t here today because they never got the chance because either a husband or a son didn’t make it and never came home to create a family.  Just like Vladek lost a son and Arty lost a brother he never even knew. An innocent child that had barley taken his second breath in the world lost forever. This story is moving, informative and inspiring, making me value everything  I’ve had and will receive.



Figure 1


Figure 1: DWAC. (n.d.). Women and War. [virtual image]. Retrieved Apr 3, 2015 from http://dwac.ca/press/readingRemembranceResource2007.html

No comments:

Post a Comment